FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

cindyrella25
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Adopting over 50? X-Post

Been here before, but a new question:

My husband is 53 years old, and I am 35 years old, we have been married for 8 years.
    We do not have any biological children of our own. We have been through alot of infertility issues, and "wasted" precious time.
    We are thinking about 1 child, may consider a sibling group. We are open to either gender and age ranges from infant to maybe 10 years.

I know his age is a huge factor, as we have been turned down several times already.

Anybody got ideas about where to look with him being 53?

Foster Care?
    Adoption Atty's?

Agencies seem to think he's "too old"
    We seem to have our heart set on Bulgaria.
    Me (37), DH (55) Abby the cat
    After 10 LONG years TI, IUI's and adoption attempts we are going to be the best auntie and uncle in the world
    "It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go"
    Proud member of the 777 club

2. Advertisement

Brea
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Seems like 55 is the upper limit from what I can find...
    http://www.allgodschildren.org/adopt...FRUhnAodE3Mx6A

also Holt is a large well reputed agency and 55 is their upper limit.
    http://www.holtintl.org/bulgaria/faq.shtml#faq2

Good luck!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Marigold
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems important to keep alert for countries with recent adoption law changes (some places initiate adoption restrictions at certain ages, while others make changes that make adoptions easier).

Anyway, all the best with you adoption search!

law511
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recently went to the foster/adopt information meeting for social services in my area and they have no age limit. I believe this is the norm. If you are open to an older child, or a sibling group, that would be a definite option for you. Best of luck to you.
    LORI
    5 IUIs - all BFNs
    IVF - Apr 09 - BFN
    Home study for domestic adoption completed!

Homeschool-mom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Also consider the Ukraine

Hello,

You can certainly adopt internationally, especially since you are in your thirties. The only requirement about adopting from the Ukraine is that you be no more than 45 years older than the child you plan to adopt, and if only one parent is eligible, then the adoption can be completed in the eligible parent's name only.

Plus, you can adopt a child without using an agency, which could save you a few thousand dollars. You can learn about it here: International Ukraine Adoption - How to Pursue a Ukraine Adoption Without an Agency

Also, you can pursue a private domestic adoption if you know the birth mom. That was our case with our youngest child. I was 45 and my husband was 55, but because the birth mom knew us, she contacted us when our youngest was born. It wouldn't hurt to put the word out, that you are interested if a child should become available.

The thing with private adoptions is they usually come about by someone knowing someone, who knows someone else. My opinion is an adoption from the Ukraine would be faster, but you never know.

Good luck! It's definitely worth it. Children make you feel young!

Sue

sumlocks123
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Adopting over 50? X-Post

Great post, although I would also note that adding word restriction to your comments might backfire. I understand wanting to cut down on spam, but it also adds another barrier for the commenter, and I think it's more beneficial to make commenting as easy as possible.

sak9645
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I adopted as a 51 year old single woman. I'm now 66 with a 16 year old, and still having fun. Back when I adopted, China was open to older, single women for NSN children.

While China is no longer as welcoming to singles, its special needs program sometimes allows one spouse in a marriage to be 55, especially if it is clear that the family will be able to function economically if the older spouse should pass away.

Russia has always been open to older parents, and many agencies will accept a healthy 55 year old man if his spouse is younger and if the financial picture is good.

Sharon
    Sharon